Image Map

Monday 29 July 2013

MUA fashionista review

So one of my favourite drugstore makeup brands is MUA (Make Up Academy) as they are so inexpensive but have amazing pigmentation and and amazing overall quality in most of their products. Recentley they have started selling fashionista products and called it the fashionista range. This range includes foundation, concealer, primer, lipsticks, ect. But the most exciting products are their customisable palettes and their quite broad variety of blushes, bronzers and eyeshadows and this is what I will be mainly reviewing for you today.

I really like the concept that is building your own palette of blusher, bronzer or eyeshadow or even mix them into a palette to create different palettes for different looks. I find this is great for people who want a M·A·C blush or eyeshadow palette but cannot afford it as M·A·C is more pricey than MUA with blush refills at £15.00 and eyeshadow refills at £10.00, but then you still have to buy the £14.00 palettes to put them in. Whereas with MUA fashionista, both blushers and eyeshadows are £4.00 each and the palettes are just £5.00! Also, both the eyeshadows and the blush refills from MUA are the same size so you don't have to buy more than one palette if not necessary. So now I am going to show you the products that I own from the fashionista range and what my thoughts are on them.

EYESHADOW: Trend-setter

This is an eyeshadow that caught my eye straight away as it looks very interesting and quite pretty in my opinion. And when I swatched it I completely fell in love with it! Before I have done a galaxy themed eyeshadow look and got quite a few compliments on it and was quite proud of it, however it took some time as I had to use lots of different eyeshadows and glitter to achieve it, however with this eyeshadow I could do that look with just this colour! It is a purple/blue colour with gold shimmer running through it and it also has some silver shimmer too, it is just a gorgeous colour in my opinion. However, if you are not a fan of colourful or more creative makeup looks then this colour may not be for you, but if you want to start getting into these more interesting looks without having to follow the complex tutorials and take longer to get ready then this eyeshadow may be good for you as it could be a whole look with this eyeshadow. However it is not an everyday shade and even I have not had the chance to wear this eyeshadow yet, but I still love it!




EYESHADOW: Icey

Now out of all of the three fashionista eyeshadows I purchased, this is the one that I have got the most use out of. In the pan it looks light a really light blue with silver undertones but on the eye it looks a bit like a duo-chrome as it looks light blue but you can see silver in there too and this is an eyeshadow that you can wear on its own all over the lid and blended a bit up through the crease and also in your inner corner/tearduct area and even under the eye and it gives such a fresh look and is a good way to add colour without being bold so if you want to get into using more unusual colours without using those neon bright colours that can be hard for some people to pull off, then this eyeshadow is for you! Out of all the fashionista eyeshadows I currently own, this would be the one that I would recommend as I think it is very easy to pull off and not a colour that I have seen or used before.


EYESHADOW: Lilac dream

This is lilac dream and it has not been done justice in this picture because it is a gorgeous light purple that has some silver shimmer running through it. The reason it is out of it's packaging in this picture is because I wanted to show you how you can remove the eyeshadow from it's sturdy packaging so that you can put it into your palette! It is so easy to do, all you have to do is push the bottom of the eyeshadow from beneath the packaging and the bottom bit you push on should look like the picture below. The eyeshadow should then just pop out, some are harder to remove than others! But just to ensure that you don't break your product, I recommend that you do this with the eyeshadow facing down and into the palm of your hand so that your eyeshadow does not break. Anyway, the reason I purchased Lilac dream over the other eyeshadows available was because I have green eyes and purple eyeshadow suits green eyes, however because I have quite fair skin, brighter and slightly darker purples make me look like I have a bruised or black eye! So I needed a pretty light purple to use and I felt that I would give Lilac dream a go. I actually haven't even tried this eyeshadow on my eyes yet as I haven't had much time to experiment with certain looks as I have been quite busy and limited with my time so I often just wear a neutral eye look on a daily basis as it is quick and simple, however I have swatched this colour and it is stunning! So I will have to incorperate this colour into a look very soon!


Here is the back of then pan of the eyeshadow Lilac dream. I wanted to show you this because I love how even when you have the products in their packaging or in the palette, you can see the colour and the shade which you can't do with other high end palettes like urban decay or M·A·C. This is handy especially if you do tutorials on you tube or are a makeup artist as you can just look at the back of the palette rather than having lift up the eyeshadow to see the colour.



The palettes!!

Here are the two palettes that I currently own, the PPQ limited edition lipstick pallete and the black customisable palette. The limited edition palette is £10.00 and the customisable palette is just £5.00! The customisable palette currently comes in two colours which are red and black.


So this is what the palettes look like when opened. The first thing that you notice is the huge mirror that covers pretty much all of the lid which comes in very handy if you travel alot and it saves you from carrying an extra mirror with you everywhere. As I have said it is an alternative to higher end palettes if that is not in your price range however bear in mind that higher end palettes are going to be higher quality but Fashionista products still have amazing pigmentation and are very creamy and are of good quality. The palettes are very easy to use once you get used to them as I found it difficult to remove the pan after placed into the palette but if you do it how I explained earlier it should work just fine. Also a good tip is when you put the pan into the palette, make sure that the colour on the back is faced the right way up, otherwise you may find it harder to read the colours of the back of the palette.


This is my black customisable palette and I decided to make a blush/bronzer palette because the eyshadows I purchased are mainly for single eyeshadow looks whereas these colours I like to use together. In this palette, starting from the top left, I have blush-juicy apricot, bronzer-barcelona, blush-New york, bronzer-Tokyo. I absolutely love all of these colours. I use Tokyo bronzer for contouring and it is so pigmented! When I first used it I made the mistake of heavily swirling my brush around in it and then applied it straight to my face and I looked like I had a dirt mark on my face and then I realised I only need a few taps of this bronzer an a little goes a long way. I will then use barcelona as a bronzer for all over the face and then take new york blush onto my cheekbones if I want a peachy pink sheer blush or juicy apricot if I want a more coral blush. I love using all of these colours and both of these blushes are just gorgeous and I am so happy with them! I also foung that juicy apricot is a good dupe for Coralista blush by Benefit!


This is the PPQ limited edition lipstick palette. This is £10.00 and when I first purchased this palette I thought that it would be empty but I only opened it to discover that it was already filled with 4 beautiful shades: red red, hot pink, nude and Cocoa. I was so excited to use these colours, not only on their own but to lighten or even slightly darken other lipsticks I own. However I tend to use them more as lip tints as they are not very pigmented and when I try to pick up the product with my finger or even with my lip brush, it dosen't pick up the product very well and even when you make a dent in the product with the brush to pick up alot of the product it still dosen't have amazing pigment on the lips. When I did manage to get a bit of the colour nude on the lips it left a line along the inside of the lips, kind of like concealer lips so I unless I am using this incorrectly, I am not a huge fan of this lip palette. However I am going to try and make use of it and use them as creme blushes. If all else fails then I will just remove the lip products and buy new eyeshadows or blushes to go in the palette instead.


This is what the back of the blush juicy apricot looks like in the customisable palette and so as you can see you can still see the colour and shade when it's still in the palette which is very useful for those of us who are obsessed with makeup.


Here you can see that it is possible to remove the pan of product from the palette and it is just as easy to put them back in again so it is very easy to use these palettes.


This is the skin brightening face highlighter by fashionista. This is a product that I often use on days when I don't feel like wearing foundation but still want a little bit of coverage and just want to brighten up my complexion if it's looking a bit dull and this product is perfect for that! I didn't realise that it came in different colours as at first I thought that it was a liquid highlighter so I assumed that they were all the same colour. So the colour that I ended up with was called star shine and it is quite bronzed and a tan colour which is not my skin tone. However I can make it work as if I blend it well it will blend into the skin and does not look so dark on my skin and just gives it a glow, but since it is summer I have been blending it a little less as it gives my face a glow with a slight tan which actually matches my body to my face as at the moment my face is more pale than my body so this colour is actually working quite well for me. I also use this to put underneath my foundation as it gives a glow to my face as well as a base for my foundation. So I do recommend this product if you want a product that gives minimal coverage but adds a glow to your skin and it is just £8.00!

I would just like to add that after using this product for a while, I realised that I was allergic to it as I kept coming out in a rash on my face every time I used this. And yes I'm sure it wasn't breakouts! So if you have sensitive skin like myself then I wouldn't advise this product, even though it is amazing I have had to discontinue it's use due to irritation of my skin.

So overall I have been loving loving the fashionista range from MUA which is no suprise to me as MUA cosmetics are just amazing for the price and so I am always excited when they bring out new products! I would recommend that you check out the fashionista products and just MUA too because they are so affordable and a review on MUA will be coming up so that you can fall in love with them like I have.

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you enjoyed it!
I will see you in the next post!

Charlotte Ansell


Just as a disclaimer, I have not been sponsered by MUA or fashionista and all products featured I have purchased myself and these are all my own opinions of these products

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a lovely comment! (If it is not lovely then it will simply be reported and removed) I am glad that you enjoyed my post enough to comment! It is very sweet of you and it is very much appreciated! I try to reply to every comment and I may even take a little look at your blog as a thank you I guess! Enjoy the rest of your day and keep smiling because you are your own kind of beautiful! x